Starting a Critique Group
Sierra Writers is a ground up organization. If one of the ongoing critique groups does not suit your needs, then start a new one. It’s easy and rewarding. Here are some suggestions for starting a group:
- Decide what you want. It’s your idea, and if you are going to start it, schedule a place and time that is convenient for you.
- Look for interested people. Announcements may be made using Sierra Writers website, newsletter and at meetings.
- Keep it simple. If you can meet in someone’s house, that is perfect. Coffee shops and restaurants also work.
- Meet a few times and evaluate as you go along.
- Talk to other writers who attend critique groups and get information about other critique groups. Better yet, attend other groups to get a sense how they are structured.
- Advertise your group. Submit information about your group to the newsletter. Ask the webmaster to advertise your group on the web and to send out an eblast. Announce it at meetings.
Critique groups are a great way to strengthen your writing, to network, and to become the writer you aim to be.