High School Competition
SIERRA WRITERS invites submissions from high school students to its YOUNG WRITERS Competition.
Cash prizes will be awarded in three categories:
- Non-fiction and
First prize in each category shall be $150, second prize $100 and third prize of $50.
Submissions should be
- made electronically, preferably in rich text format (rtf) format, and sent by email to email@example.com.
- in twelve point font, either Times Roman or Courier, with double-spaced lines.
- limited to a minimum of 750 (250 words for Poetry) and a maximum of 1500
- Students may submit in all three categories but only one entry in each.
- Students should identify themselves and the school in which they are registered, and describe their submission(s) in the emails.
- The submissions should only have a title and the category in which it is to be considered, i.s., no name.
- Students interested must register by sending his or her name, date of birth, the high school attending, and the category or categories to be entered by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or in the Contact Form.
Submissions are due by March 1, 2017.
Teachers may encourage and discuss submissions with the students but may not correct them beyond pointing out the existence of “spell-check” and similar word processing functions. Students may avail themselves of any help from websites such as grammarly.com but are warned that any plagiarism detected will disqualify the student from every category. Students are encouraged, however, to discuss and read or correct each other’s work.
Judges will select the winners by May 1 and their decisions will be final.
Winning submissions will be invited for a reading at the May 10, 2017 meeting of the Sierra Writers at the Community Room of the Helling Library at 6:30 p.m. and will be published in the July 2017 Newsletter of Sierra Writers.
Submissions will be judged equally for
(b) coherence (following conventional usage regarding form, style and structure), and
(c) correctness (spelling and grammar).
All participants are invited to a Workshop for Tween and Teen Writers at the Second Sierra Writers Conference, January 21, 2017. Details to be made announced on the Sierra Writers website.